First Impressions

The trip thus far has been frustrating, intriguing, and enjoyable. Getting to meet my host family was an enlightening experience that gave me more insight into how others live day-to-day. Going into this experience, I was very worried about living with another family that I did not share a common language with. However, since the beginning, my host family has been no less than amazing. I am getting along well with the children and I really enjoy getting to share our culture and language with them and vice versa. This trip has also really pushed me out of my comfort zone in terms of food. While I have not loved everything, I enjoy more different types of foods than I originally thought. One specific thing that I have learned is the Moroccans produce very little trash. I relly admire the way in which they reduce the amount of waste and reuse objects many times. Overall, my first impression of my host family has only continued to blossom into a wonderful relationship. 



Coming into the trip, I only really knew one person, but as time has gone on, I see us all really becoming close. At the cafĂ© after the tour of University of Fez, we all sat around drinking tea, speaking Arabic (or trying to) and having a great time. I have seen how being in another country with a group of peers can bring people closer together by examining your experiences. In addition, I have gotten to know two really great professors even more so and learn dirty words in French. I think that being in Morocco has helped bring us together not only in comparing and contrasting our experiences, but also relying on others for support such as finding directions. 

Today at the round table, I was partnered with a young man named Amine. He asked me how much I knew about Islam and I told him about our lecture and my past education. He was very impressed about how much I knew and appeared genuinely appreciative that I have taken the time to learn. This showed me how important it is to really learn about other religions and cultures because it allowed me to have a great conversation with him. Furthermore, I have learned a remarkable amount about artisanship and craftsmanship here in Morocco. I have never seen anyone make anything by hand the way that I have here. Having the hands on experience of woodworking has also reaffirmed my appreciation for the work artisan’s do and the lasting impact of art and architecture here in Fez. The beauty of Fez is absolutely mind-boggling and the amount of work that the people put into everything is admirable. Overall, I have been able to use the knowledge I have gained and apply it to the real world experiences that I have had in Fez. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History and Influence of the Berbers

Visiting the Medina of Fez

Chicken Bastilla: A Moroccan Delight